Since I had all those leftover egg yolks from when I made the friands the other day, I thought I’d have my first attempt at making creme patissiere. I used Rachel Allen’s recipe but adapted it to use 6 egg yolks instead of 4.
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
40g plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. In a heat proof bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thick, then add the flour and whisk well to combine.
2. Put milk in a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. Once boiled, pour the milk slowly onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Return the mixture to the pan and stir over medium heat until it comes to a gentle boil. Continue to cook, stirring all the time for 2 minutes or until thick.
3. Remove from the heat, whisk in vanilla, then pour through a sieve into the bowl. Cover with cling film and allow to cool.
1/4 cup icing sugar
2 tsp water
1. Put all ingredients into a saucepan over low heat and allow the sugar to dissolve.
2. Once the sugar is dissolved, turn the heat up and bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, turn the heat right down and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan. While the mixture is simmering, squash a small section of the berries with a fork, then mix well.
3. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
I used the same pastry recipe as I did here.
1. Line the tins with the (chilled) pastry, put some baking paper and baking beans onto the pastry and bake for 15 minutes at 180°C (360°F) then remove the paper and beans, brush the cases with some egg wash and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
2. Put about a tablespoon of the blueberry mixture into each case, then either pipe or spoon some creme patissiere over the top. Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
3. Once they are out of the oven, allow to cool slightly for about 10 minutes then top each tart with a teaspoon of the blueberry mixture. Remove from the tins and put on a rack to cool completely (or cool down enough so you can eat them!)